ROSA Robotic Knee Replacement
What is the ROSA® Knee System?
ROSA® Knee System is a robotic surgical assistant developed by Zimmer Biomet that enables surgeons to carry out knee replacement procedures with greater precision and a higher standard of care during knee replacement surgery. The ROSA robotic system utilizes real-time information and assists surgeons with precise placement of the knee implants based on a person’s unique knee anatomy.
Indications for ROSA® Robotic Total Knee ReplacementROSA® Robotic Knee System for total knee replacement is indicated for individuals with early-to-mid-stage osteoarthritis of the knee exhibiting symptoms such as knee pain, knee swelling, and knee locking, that is not amenable to conservative treatment. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease causing breakdown and eventual loss of cartilage in the joint enabling bones to rub against each other leading to painful movement.
Preparation for a ROSA® Robotic Total Knee Replacement
The preoperative preparation is similar to most total knee replacement procedures. But contrary to traditional knee replacement techniques, the ROSA Knee System utilizes a series of X-rays to generate 3D images of an individual’s unique knee anatomy. This 3D image enables the surgeon to design a personalized plan based on the specifics of an individual’s knee anatomy prior to performing total knee replacement surgery.
Procedure Involved with ROSA® Robotic Total Knee ReplacementIn general, the surgical procedure using the ROSA knee system is similar to that of a traditional total knee replacement, but performed with the help of a robotic assistant. The robotic system does not perform the procedure on its own. The surgery is performed entirely by your surgeon by prompting the robotic hands as per the personalized plan developed by your surgeon. The ROSA knee system is only an additional tool to guide your surgeon to ensure greater accuracy in the placement of the knee implants. It cannot replace the skills of your experienced surgeon.
During the surgery, the ROSA Knee functions like a high-tech GPS system utilizing optical trackers and a mini-camera attached to your leg to determine the exact position of the knee in space. The robotic system makes adjustments even with the slightest movement of your legs ensuring the surgical plan designed by your surgeon is carried out without any changes and with a high degree of precision. Throughout the procedure, your surgeon is provided with real-time data by the ROSA Knee System, which enhances your surgeon’s skill enabling accurate placement of the knee implant.
Postoperative Care and Recovery
Recovery is fairly quick as it is a minimally invasive procedure. In general, postoperative care and recover involves the following:
- You may notice some stiffness and pain in your leg. Medications will be prescribed to manage this discomfort.
- Instructions on surgical site care, driving, and bathing will be provided.
- A balanced diet rich in iron supplements is recommended to help your wound heal and to restore muscle strength.
- You are advised to maintain a healthy weight to minimize stress on the joint.
- Refrain from smoking as it can negatively affect the healing process.
- Refrain from any strenuous activities requiring weightbearing. You should gradually increase your activity level with light activities.
- A customized exercise regimen is advised after a few weeks following surgery to strengthen your leg muscles and improve range of motion.
- You should be able to resume most of your normal activities in a couple of weeks following surgery.
- A follow-up appointment will be scheduled to monitor your progress.
- Smaller incisions with reduced scarring and minimal blood loss.
- Less post-operative pain.
- Shorter hospital stay and recovery period .
- Quicker return to daily activities.
- Lower incidence of complications.
- Precise placement of the implant.
- Reduced injury to adjacent tissues.
- Increased longevity of the implant.
- Damage to surrounding soft tissues.
- Stiffness or instability in the knee.
Advantages of the ROSA® Robotic Total Knee Replacement
Being a minimally invasive approach, the ROSA® knee system offers the following benefits:
Risks and Complications
ROSA® robotic total knee replacement is a relatively safe procedure; however, as with any surgery, there are risks and complications that can occur, such as: